Why I Started Writing:
While working as an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, I was inspired by a missionary I met on a mission trip. When I got home, I thought, “Someone needs to write his story.” So, I took a pen to paper and wrote his biography. This book has helped raise over a million dollars for Mountain Top Ministries, Haiti. That year, on Christmas Eve, my six-year-old son saw the book and said, “Dad why don’t you write a book about me?”
“Of course, I will.”
That night I scratched out, “The Alex Monster” and put it under the tree. We read it every night before bed for six months. The next Christmas, I wrote a novel with my kids as the main characters and their activities woven into the plot. A tradition was born. As my kids have grown, my annual novels have gotten longer and more complex.
After our family visited Israel I wrote The Gates of Hell and incorporated the places we saw and lessons learned into the plot.
Authors Who Have Influenced Me:
- James Rubart
- I met Jim at a writer’s conference and hired him to be my personal writing coach.
- He has been a mentor and friend in my writing journey.
- Erin Healy
- As an author, writing coach, and editor, Erin’s sweet spot is story coaching for Christian fiction.
- I lost track of the lessons I learned from countless one-on-one meetings with Erin.
- Rick Joyner
- The Final Quest book inspired me to become a writer.
- His other books illuminate the battle between light and darkness.
- Frank Peretti
- I read This Present Darkness when it first came out and have recommended it hundreds of times.
- Peretti opened my eyes to the possibilities in Christian Adventure Fiction.
- David Platt
- I love everything he has written.
- Platt boils down the most complex subjects to bite sized pieces for regular people.
Books I Have Written:
Give Your Best: How Willem Charles Transformed His Haitian Village From Poverty in Voodoo to Prosperity in Christianity
2010, 201 pages.
Radical Giving: How Remarkable Generosity Can Set You Free
2020, 193 pages.
From Victim to Victory: This is My Story
Ramie Stenzel and Andy DeWitt
2018, 197 pages.
The Covid Puppy
2020, 197 pages.
What I'm Working On Now:
- Every Christmas, I give my kids a book where they are the main characters. I’m constantly working on my next one.
- I’m helping several people with their personal memoirs, business books, and Christian inspiration books.
- Putting the finishing touches on my novel The Gates of Hell.